Re: another windpack question (sennheiser windshield for stereo

Subject: Re: another windpack question (sennheiser windshield for stereo
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:48 am ((PDT))
Posted by: "evs"

> thanks alot for your answers,
> they are a big help for me.
> i have a sennheiser windshield for an mkh416. its great, but i also
> used rycote windshields.
> i often thought that you could dent the rycote more, because its more
> elastic. but the sennheiser was way more comfortable in building it
> up or down because my one has clips instead of bolts.. but maybe i
> have an old sennheiser windshield and used old rycotes..

I don't think this has changed much, the sennheisers are a simpler
design with less tiny parts and less assembly problems.

It's more than just the extra flex of the rycote, the plastic itself is
not as durable a type as the Sennheiser.

> by the way, i did not know that sennheiser builds windshield for
> stereo set ups.. like i said before i have the mzs 20-1 and the MZW
> 60-1, and its hard to believe that there is enough space inside to
> have two mics in it.. or is it no problem?
> i also heard that you got to have more space around the mics, for
> acustic reasons, but i forgot the argument. is it not right? ( i
> think the more space you have around the mics, the better is the wind
> absorbation? wrong?)

Sennheiser does not build a windshield for stereo, you use the mono
ones. Or at least I do, look here:
http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/docs/ms_setups.html
I do use rycote double clips in the Sennheiser setups, the Sennheiser
ones cost more and are harder to come by.

The clearance is limited. I do sheath the mics with knit baby socks now
to provide a little more protection. Acoustically I have not found any
problem with this setup.

Space around the mics helps with wind protection, so there is a little
less protection for the top mic which is less than a inch from the top.
But the close direction would be for a wind blowing straight down on the
top of the setup, which is not a common problem.

> if i can use my old windshield, i would not have to buy a new one...
> well that would not be too bad:-)

Always try what you have first. That's how I ended up with my setups.