Re: Digital Age Concerns

Subject: Re: Digital Age Concerns
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:21 pm ((PDT))
My son (25) works with electronic music, Drum&Base. He has all the
highest-fashion softwares and plug-ins.
A couple of years ago, it could take him a month or two before he had
mixed his samplings and sounds into a preliminary track.  And he was
often very unhappy with whatever he made, even if there was nothing
wrong with it.
Now he sits at a analog mixer table with his eyes closed and his
hands moving more or less "automatically" over knobs and slides. It
takes a day o two and he feels happy about it.

Turning a real hardware knob or slide - or doing it with your mouse,
are two completely different things. I'm not talking about the
quality of the result, but of the interaction between man and machine.
How nice would it be to drive a Ferrari by pressing a keyboard?

Klas.

At 17:38 2007-03-15, you wrote:
>Posted by: "Marc Myers"
>
> > Of course everything in computers can be adjusted and most of it
> on the fly. But it's not always convenient, tactile or efficient
> particularly if you wish or have to work in real time. That's why
> the best software is supported by a wide variety of real world
> interfaces from JL Cooper, Mackie, Alesis, ADS-Technology,
> Behringer, Contour, Digital Design, M-audio and others. Not to
> mention the bevy of drum pads and keyboards that can double as
> controllers. No reason using a computer has limited to a crummy
> little mouse or track ball that only does one thing at a time.
>
>Of course drum pads and keyboards are essential for processing nature
>recording. You did notice the title of this group, naturerecordists?
>
>Yes, mouse handling in the windows os is seriously defective.
>
> > Apples to oranges, you're comparing pro audio software with
> consumer graphics. There's a world of very breathtakinly expensive
> graphics software out there if you elect to purchase it.
>
>Yep, if you consider photoshop consumer graphics. A couple simple audio
>plugins can cost as much as it.
>
>Walt
>

>"Microphones are not ears,
>Loudspeakers are not birds,