Re: Parrot sounds

Subject: Re: Parrot sounds
From: "mistyparrot" mistyparrot
Date: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:48 am ((PDT))
--- In  "Rich Peet" <> wrote:

> Making an assumption here that you have captive parrots.
> Please be careful. I have kept captive parrots for a number of years.
> The response may not be what you expect or want.  There is little
> understanding about how much a captive bird owner goes through to get
> the wild out of a parrot.
>
> I have played Cockatoo recordings to a group of captive Cockatoo's as
> well as played wild Quaker recordings to a captive Quaker's and Macaw
> recordings to a single old captive, wild caught, Macaw.  I was looking
> into this as a possible large market for selling CD's.
>
> The warning I will keep simple and you can investigate.  The response
> is often "big and obvious" and can make your birds wound up and hard
> to contain.  It was not hard to conclude this is a product I would not
> want to sell.
>
> Assuming again where I have insuffient info, that what you want is to
> have your bird enjoy and be intent on listening to natural sounds.
> What I have found best is to play spring dawn chorus of other
> unrelated species that do not include raptures or owls.
>
> If you want a sample mp3 of what I have tested and found parrots to
> like to listen to, let me know and I will e-mail you a track to play with=
.

> Rich
>
> --- In  "mistyparrot"
> <steve.lane@> wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone here direct me to a source of the sounds of African Grey
> parrots in the wild?

Thanks for your reply Rich.
I do have a pet Grey who is a wonder to listen to. He picks up human words =
and can use
them to lable objects, actions and voice his wants.
He also has a beautiful "singing" voice and enjoys listening to music espec=
ially classical
instrumental and jazz. I would not teach him from a recording because it wo=
uld provide no
context for him, besides although he can hear the radio he has never attemp=
ted to mimic
anything other than the BBC time sig and audience laughter. Never the less =
I am interested
to hear how they vocalize in the wild. I don't know if you are familiar wit=
h Greys but they
have a well deserved reputation for being relatively quiet in domestic situ=
ations unlike
Toos and Macaws that can cause serious ear bleeding in humans.
I would love to hear your MP3 so please provide a link or Email it to me di=
rect.

Steve