Re: State of Spring

Subject: Re: State of Spring
From: "M, J, & V Phinney" badgreenbird
Date: Tue Mar 6, 2007 6:15 am ((PST))
Still desperately searching for signs of spring here at 56N 120W. It's been
a long, cold winter. Although warm air has pushed up within a few hours
drive (resulting in 10C/50F temps) we're still suffering through daily high=
of -18C...as well as at least 3 ft of snow pack. Supposed to get above
freezing tomorrow, however.

Some birds ignore the temperatures and are responding to the increased day
length - Black-capped Chickadees sing frequently on sunny days; woodpeckers
have been drumming, and the Pine Grosbeaks have started to sing, rather tha=
just calling.

David's comment about the hybrid zone of chickadees was interesting. This i=
the (only?) contact zone of Mourning and MacGillivray's Wablers and
Townsend's & Black-throated Green Warblers. There are similar questions of
hybrids, song sharing, etc. Researchers from southern BC universities will
be investigating. Of course, those birds won't be back here for another 2
1/2 months!

If I can dust off the MD recorder, I'll try to capture some 'spring' sounds=
.

Mark Phinney