Re: Bird population

Subject: Re: Bird population
From: "abdul rauf" albudauni
Date: Tue Mar 6, 2007 2:55 am ((PST))

  Hi

  I remember, someone from our list once asked that,  =93is there any place=
 in the world where the population of the birds has increased=85. =93

  I was reading a news in  Arabic Newspaper Al-Iqtisadiya dated March  05, =
2007 published from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
  The news says that  Mr. Engineer Adil Faqih , the Mayer of Jeddah   has s=
igned a contract  of 5 million Saudi Riyals  with a pest management company=
 to control the crows in the city and cornich areas.  These birds have beco=
me a problem in Jeddah city and at the Cornich. As the news goes the popula=
tion of crow is about 60,000 in Jeddah alone.

  I came to know from the old resident  that  there were no crows at Jeddah=
 before twenty years. I myself saw some birds at date palm tress and other =
places feeding from the food waste in the skip, in the gardens and at corni=
ch before ten years.  The crows were very aggressive and trying to make the=
ir place. Wherever, I tried to count the number of crows at a point (tree) =
 in many locations in Jeddah, the number was never more than twelve.

  In the kingdom the green cover has increased in all the cities tremendous=
ly. Cities are green everywhere. So the population of birds has increased i=
n all the major cities of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia like, Jeddah, Abha, J=
ubail, Dammam, Hofuf, and Riyadh.

  Many birds like pigeons, doves, wood peckers, eagles, kites, lesser pigeo=
ns, sparrows and other  can be seen singing in the morning and evening.

  Population of  birds specially crows has increased in Saudi Arabia. Infor=
mation about Saudi Arabia can be seen http://saudinf.com/main/a62.htm

  As my job is training the pest management professionals in =91Basic Entom=
ology and Pest Management=92.  I would like to know :
  Is there any study about the effects of pesticides on acoustic repertoire=
 of birds?
  Can anyone give more humane new idea about how to  manage the problem bir=
ds?

  Dr. Abdul Rauf
  Entomologist
  MASA Establishment