Re: Zoom H4 modification

Subject: Re: Zoom H4 modification
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:02 am ((PST))
Hi John--
Thanks for taking the time with the test and producing the xls
spreadsheet http://tinyurl.com/yv6o46 (log in first)

>"Useful and interesting as these tests are I'm finding it hard to
>analyse the good with the good. It seems to me the room noise LF is
>probably varying & the mic positions too."

Dan Dugan inquired about the extra LF with the Art in place as well.
It was very gusty at times the night I did the test and the deviance
in the LF background stems from that. I've set-up that A/B between
NT1A->722 and NT1A->Art-722 several times before without this
difference. The section in the test was the best moment from a 15
minute take. The NT1-A mics are stationary throughout.  I do suspect
there could be noise performance differences to evaluate under 1K Hz
but I have no way at this time of getting clean recordings of this
part of the spectrum.

The tests hope to challenge this listener to assess differences they
can hear with the same pair of mics and playback levels matched as
closely as I can. The differences are most often described  as
buzzes, hiss and fizzing and include sounds I know are inherent in
the NT1-A's-- so they're pretty subtle. As non-scientific as the
tests are, I find they do reveal most of what folks find
objectionable about noise.
.

>"And the 2 pairs of supposedly identical recordings have differing
>noise and  peak "tick" levels [Eg there is 8dB difference between
>the 2 SD722 Int power sample]."

I don't use clock "tick" peak levels to match playback levels.  I'll
discuss this off-list if you're curious why. Thanks for the tip about
the polarity.  I'll check all of my adapter cables.  One from a
workshop that I did not wire may have gotten into my nest.

I've get many opportunities to hear many different recordings made
with 722's, 744; MD's, DAT's, MT2496's and Hi-MD's using the Rolls
and Art Phantom units.  One does make one wonder why the other low
cost recorder manufs don't use mic pre components comparable to those
in the $160 Hi-MD's. I do hope the other manufs will get the message
because the components are not expensive. Rob D.
.