Re: Where the sound is better

Subject: Re: Where the sound is better
From: "Steve Pelikan" pelikan45224
Date: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:51 pm ((PST))
Rich, and friends:

I understand the point of your question and agree with the perceptions,
sentiment, and the concern behind it  behind.

But here's an example: In the last 10 years the county park system where
I live bought an old agricultural field, crushed a lot of drainage tile,
and made some scrapes with an earthmover. It fills with water every year.

Before, there was nothing --- I was there in the early spring listening
for snipe and woodcock. Now the frogs are deafening.

On a nice spring night one can stand in the dark and listen to the
peepers. You practically need hearing protection to bear it!

http://homepages.uc.edu/~pelikas/Peepers-2002.mp3

Of course, it was like that every where around here at one point. Where
I live, conservation and preservation aren't issues any more. Maybe the
issue is restoration, but mostly we're fighting to protect restored areas.

Best as always,
Steve P