Re: new recorders at NAMM 2007?

Subject: Re: new recorders at NAMM 2007?
From: "Greg Peterson" glp_japan
Date: Fri Feb 2, 2007 1:30 am ((PST))
Some news on the Fostex FR-2LE and the Korg MR-1 / MR-1000 in Japan:

At Sat, 20 Jan 2007 00:17:54 -0000, oryoki2000 wrote:

> Did anyone attend the NAMM show in Anaheim?
> Did you see any interesting new gear?  The
> show is open through Sunday.
>
> Fostex America (booth 6985) is showing the FR-2LE.
> At this point, there is nothing on the corporate
> website.

Fostex International calls it the "FR-2LE Location Recorder"
(http://www.fostexinternational.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?id=3DEEZpplyZEVskY=
PwaCm)

 Main Features (Preliminary)

    * BWF (stereo) or MP3 recording to Type II Compact Flash cards
    * Approx 8 hour battery operation
    * FAT32 file system
    * 16/24bit, 44.1/48/88.4/96kHz
    * USB 2.0 for high speed file transfer to PC
    * 1 take =3D 1 file system to eliminate accidental overwriting
    * Pre Rec buffer
    * Auto file closing maximizes available recording time
    * ALC (OFF/ALC/LIMITER) and HPF

Fostex Japan (http://www.fostex.jp/INTRO/fr2le/FR2LE_info.html)
shows the FR-2LE Field Memory Recorder with availability planned
for Spring, 2007.  The list price is JPY 69,800.  Preliminary specs:

    * Analog input: XLR/6mm "combo"
         XLR mic: P48V (phantom), -50-10dBu
         6mm line: -10dBV
    * Monitor output RCA "pin" unbalanced max. output 0dBV
    * USB 2.0 Series B
    * Headphone jack: stereo mini max. 15+15mW at 32 Ohms
    * Dimensions:  206W x 57H x 132D mm
    * Weight: about 800 grams without batteries
    * Power: AA batteries x 4, AC adapter (DC 12V), or
             Tamiya RC3600HV Ni-MH battery pack.
    * Recording times (about) with Compact Flash card
        4 hours with 2300mAh Ni-MH batteries
        8 hours with Tamiya RC3600HV battery pack

Someone might want to correct that if I misunderstood the Japanese.

Mic input gain doesn't look so great.  The FR-2P has -60-26dBu.
The FR-2P ("Plus") (http://www.fostex.jp/INTRO/fr2/FR-2P.html)
seems to have replaced the FR-2, and it is much cheaper here in
Japan: JPY 96,000 at SoundHouse (http://www.soundhouse.co.jp/)
(currently not in stock at SoundHouse).

> Korg USA (booth 6440) is showing the MR-1 and MR-1000.
> http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?A_PROD_NO=3DMR1
> http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?A_PROD_NO=3DMR1000
>
> It would be great to hear more about these units,
> including MSRP and availability.

The MR-1 and MR-1000 are available in Japan through SoundHouse
(http://www.soundhouse.co.jp/) (Japanese only).  The MR-1 costs
JPY 59,800 and the MR-1000 is JPY 118,000.  Apparently both are
in stock.  (I have purchased a lot of gear, cables, etc. from
SoundHouse, and their service has been excellent every time.)

Has anyone seen independent hands-on reviews of these recorders?
I am very curious to know how the MR-1000 compares to the Fostex
FR-2 Plus in both "studio" (line input) and field applications.

Thanks.

Greg Peterson <>