Wildlife Recording Epiphany

Subject: Wildlife Recording Epiphany
From: "tk7859" tk7859
Date: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:45 pm ((PST))
--- In  "tk7859" <> wrote:

> It was whilst doing this pedestrian mobile (/PM) operating that I had
> my nature recording epiphany.  I was using an MZ-R30 to record my QSOs
> and hot having had too many that particular day I was making my way
> back home with the recorder running.  A flock of Brent Geese
> approached and flew directly overhad to roost on the salt marsh 300
> yards away.
>
> Back home, when I listened to the disc, I was hooked.

Hi All

I've just found the recording of this.  it is at

http://ad2004.hku.nl/naturesound/TomR/Ist%20Fly%20Over.mp3

It was made with an MZ-R30 (Atrac recording) with a Vivanco EM216 tie
clip stereo mic.  For comparison the following recording

http://ad2004.hku.nl/naturesound/TomR/GeesemHomecomingTriple.mp3

was made yesterday with the lightweight triple barrier.  This is,
maybe, not as exciting (there was no overhead fly past) but it is
interesting nevertheless.  In this recording the Brent Geese are heard
approaching from the south-east (left on the recording).

Interestingly their calls are louder after they settled on the salt
marsh (about one half a mile in front of the mic).  Sory about the
throbbing of the fishing vessel returning home at the same time (about
30 minutes after sunset).  The operating conditions for this recording
were mic sensitivity =3D high, manual mic volume set to 20.  Maybe it
should have been set higher?.

For comparison here is a recording made, with the same mic, at the end
of the tests comparing the triple with the NT4 (reported on earlier).
 The mic settings are identical.

http://ad2004.hku.nl/naturesound/TomR/finalsnippitmp3.mp3

In it you hear my footsteps as I walk to the boiler room to switch on
the water supply to the bird bath fountain.  You hear the click of the
switch followed by the sound of the fountain coming to life.  In the
last 20% of the clip you hear a blackbird taking a shower under the
fountain.  All of these actions were much closer (about 30ft.) than
the saltmarsh sounds.

This clip sounds good on my HiFi, but, sounds extra-ordinary lifelike
using headphones - but then I know what I was doing at the time of the
recording :-)

All very interesting to me - hopefully to some of you.  I've still a
lot to learn re. setting the correct recording levels.

Cheers

Tom Robinson