Re: "silence chamber" (nested enclosures)

Subject: Re: "silence chamber" (nested enclosures)
From: "jpbeale" jpbeale
Date: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:36 am ((PST))
--- In  Mike Feldman
<> wrote:
> jpbeale wrote:
> > ... That would double the attenuation from 40 dB to 80 dB
> Be careful multiplying logarithms...

Yes. In general, if you have a chamber which attenuates incident sound
X dB at a given frequency, and it is completely surrounded by another
chamber which by itself attenuates Y dB at that frequency, then the
composite chamber attenuates X + Y dB.  In my example 40 + 40 = 80 dB.
True, that may not properly be called "doubling".

Now, this formula an approximation to the extent that it neglects any
resonance modes between the inner & outer chamber walls. For
reasonable (well-damped) chambers, I believe it is pretty close.