"silence chamber" (was Noiselevel with 150 ohm termination

Subject: "silence chamber" (was Noiselevel with 150 ohm termination
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:49 am ((PST))
Hi Klas--
A floating wooden or metal stud wall booth with an exterior made of 2
layers of 5/8" drywall and 8-12" of fiberglass batting on the inside
can drop the ambient level 40dB, maybe 45-46dB. I made the interior
walls by jamb-fitting homesote sound paneling. Two layers of carpet
on the floor. The biggest challenge/expense is the entrance door and
seal. I added another seal to an 2.5" solid door and it was almost as
quiet as the walls. Two 2" doors in one thick jamb would be better. I
floated the 800 lb structure on four rubber closet (toilet) washers.
Every joint and seam must be caulked. Ventilation is a bit of a pain,
but that can be done cheaply too. Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Peck School of the Arts