Re: My MZ-RH1 mic in: -122.8 dBu noise floor

Subject: Re: My MZ-RH1 mic in: -122.8 dBu noise floor
From: "jpbeale" jpbeale
Date: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:02 am ((PST))
--- In  "Raimund Specht"
<> wrote:
> I agree that the relatively high output impedance of 1 kohm results in
> a higher noise level. Though, I guess that a 150 ohm source might
> improve the noise figure by more than 2 dB.

I redid the measurement with a different attenuator, with Z=3D150 ohms
out this time; all the rest of the setup was the same. The total noise
floor was improved by 1.6 dB. Some small noise spikes also appeared,
eg. around 15 kHz. I am not sure if that is internal to the unit or
not. I took down the setup, reassembled it, and re-ran the test. I got
the same results again to within 0.1 dB.

Measured MZ-RH1 input noise level (150 ohm source)

-122.2 dBu (unweighted)
-124.4 dbu (A weighted)

http://beale.best.vwh.net/measure/audio/MZ-RH1_Mic_30_150Z.htm

J. Beale Dec.28 2006