lithium ion battery maintenance

Subject: lithium ion battery maintenance
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:26 pm ((PST))
Thomas Ashcroft wrote
> ...What is the correct rechargeable battery
> maintenance for a Sony HiMD recorder?...

Sony Hi-MDs and most other small field recorders use
lithium-ion battery technology.  The Li-Ion battery
should be recharged regularly.  A deep discharge cycle
is not necessary to keep the battery in top condition.

Li-Ion batteries slowly lose their ability to hold
power.  This loss starts the day they leave the factory,
and it is independent of how much the battery is used.
So you may want to replace the battery after a couple of
years, or if you expect to be in a situation where every
milliamp will count (like a backpacking trip).

Many (all?) Sony Hi-MDs use the LIP-4WM rechargeable
lithium ion battery.  This battery costs $50 from USA
sources, but $15 from eBay sources in China, where
the batteries are manufactured. I've had good luck
when ordering batteries from eBay., so that's the
route I'd choose.

--oryoki