How can I electronically "annotate" files for cataloguing

Subject: How can I electronically "annotate" files for cataloguing
purposes ? When I using  RavenLite I save files in =96 aif. format and
a right click takes me to "file properties" where empty fields could
be filled in to describe location, recording quality, weather etc
etc =96 all those helpful descriptors that stayed with the file and
could be used in an electronic cataloguing system.  The .wav format
does not allow this. What is the answer =96 save everything as .aif ?
Is that something I may regret in future ? (If I stick
with "Spectrogram" it will only work with .wav files)  Or is there a
good system I am not aware of for wav files ?

OK that's it. Apologies for the length of this message, I am in
training for a hopefully busy spring. Thanks to anyone for further
advice. And a big thanks to Klas Strandberg for helping me up a few
more rungs of the nature recording ladder !

Chris