Re: Recording nature's acoustics

Subject: Re: Recording nature's acoustics
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Sat Dec 2, 2006 10:00 pm ((PST))
Hi Barry and welcome to the list. I'm pretty well convinced that
humans and many animals have the ability to "image" the space around
them functionally if not very accurately. The most impressive
evidence for me has come from spending some time with sight impaired
friends as they hear their way through spaces. In the wild, creatures
navigate very well through pitch blackness and use local resonances
to magnify their calls. Technically, its my opinion that current
sound recording systems are challenged to record acoustic details on
the order that animals can perceive, but these are some of the topics
we discuss from time to time. I'll take a look at your sample chapter
and table of contents on the link you provided. Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Peck School of the Arts