Re: Zoom H4 (was Tascam HD-P2)

Subject: Re: Zoom H4 (was Tascam HD-P2)
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:41 pm ((PST))
"Martyn Stewart" asked:
> [Zoom H4] - anyone seen this little recorder?

My tentative conclusion (without actually trying one myself) is that
the H4 has some unexpected features (4 channel mixdown -- 2 mic inputs
and 2 pre-recorded sources; XLR inputs; decent built-in mics) at the
$300 price point.  But ultimately the H4 is held back by its mediocre
preamp.

One Zoom H4 owner posted here about using the Zoom H4 in the field,
and characterized it as "adequate."
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists/message/25195

A couple of participants in the Tapers Section forum purchased the H4.
 The recordings they posted showed that the preamp of the H4 is pretty
noisy.

Three message threads in our group have discussed the specs: