Re: Zoom H4 recorder

Subject: Re: Zoom H4 recorder
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Wed Nov 8, 2006 2:22 pm ((PST))
At 3:36 PM -0500 11/8/06, Po-Jen Chiang wrote:
>Hi Klas,
>
>sound professionals is providing some interesting accessories for H4.
>They have one interface which fits well to H4 and convert 24V to PIP.

Post #10438 on phonography list:

>wonder how this PIP works with EM23 and how this combination compares to
>Hi-MD performance.

I'd love to be able to compare the H4, the R-9, the Microtracker,
Hi-MD and 722 side by side.  We're so heavily invested in Hi-MD
recorders that we're no longer buying test units of other new
recorders that I can borrow to make comparison tests with. For
planned uses of recording ambience in quiet locations, comparison
tests for noise under high gain have been consistently surprising and
telling.

I'm a little skeptical that any of the new, <$400USD recorders will
surface as a clear "winner"  any time soon because, as we discussed,
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/naturerecordists/2006-07/msg00192.html
the mic pre/ADC of Hi-MD, the  Asahi Kasei AK-5356VN-L is a pretty
impressive component in terms of low noise and high gain.  Korg,
Zoom, Edirol and M-Audio could very well use a comparable pre/ADC,
but unless someone can speak to this otherwise, hoping a new <$400
recorder will use a better component doesn't have much foundation.

Still, we can at least _hope_ that the new recorders will use a
comparable mic pre while providing better powering for PIP, 48 volts
phantom and balanced line input but these features have also been a
challenge for the manufacturers to provide with high quality
performance at this price point.  Rob D.