Re: hearing protection

Subject: Re: hearing protection
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:50 pm (PDT)
--- In  "Rich Peet" <> wrote:

> For lawn mowing and higher sound stuff I like the Remington hearing
> protection that looks like head phones. They are under $30. The
> Remington model is also good enough that I can play the mouth
> harmonica while mowing the lawn just listening to the resonant sound
> of my mouth.

Today it was cutting firewood. A dead red oak and a dead pine from my
woods cut up for splitting. Trying to stockpile before the surgery. I
use a Husqvarna helmet with screen eye protection and headphone style
hearing protection. I use that with the chainsaw, pole saw, line
trimmer, weed cutter, hedge trimmer & brushsaw. All but the chainsaw
are 4 stroke engines and quieter than the chainsaw, but still worthy
of hearing protection. I use a "headphone" style husqvarna hearing
protector on my diesel tractor too, where the helmet and eye shield is
not necessary. Not too necessary for most work with the tractor, but
the bushhog and such like can be essential for hearing protection. The
bushhog can be louder than the chainsaw cutting some things.
Surprisingly cutting high grass is worse than cutting heavy brush.
Another loud implement is the chipper/shredder. I got all this hearing
protection off ebay, it does not cost much at all.

I watch those folks over land destroying next door (the subdivision).
Really loud equipment, no hearing protection at all.

Of course it does not take construction equipment to do your hearing
in. Any city street will do, or a "concert", or nightclub. Or the
level that many play their stereo. Loud sounds are everywhere.

Yes, there is gunfire in the neighborhood, and I do use hearing
protection when firing any of my guns. There's gunfire next door right
now. "Target Practicing"

> If you want to hear very quiet stuff when your my age you will use
> hearing protection at all ages when needed and learn to identify when
> it is needed.

Also avoid as much loud sound as possible.  Even at best your high
frequency hearing will get worse. Other than wearing hearing
protection continuously modern life is very hard on hearing. Have your
hearing evaluated, you can even get kits that will allow pretty good
self evaluation. Definitely know what your hearing is really doing
before evaluating what equipment is doing using your ears as test
instruments.

Walt

"Microphones are not ears,
Loudspeakers are not birds,