newbie

Subject: newbie
From: "John Thompson" thompson_jhn
Date: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:25 pm (PDT)
Hello list members,
I have just joined this list and would like to introduce myself. I
live on the outskirts of Perth, Western Australia, where I have a
psychology practice.  My main interests are `Nature Based therapy',
`Nonlinear Dynamical Systems Theory', bushwalking, cycling, and kayaking.
Over the past ten years or so I have explored the role of Nature in
the healing and transformational process.  I utilize this extensively,
along with neurofeedback, in my psychology practice where I help
trauma and abuse survivors.  The type of Neurofeedback I am using is
based upon Nonlinear Dynamics and it trains the Central Nervous System
into an optimal level of arousal and stability where a good deal of
healing, development, and transformation can occur.  Part of the
process involves the client listening to music through headphones that
is interrupted very briefly depending upon the EEG being generated by
the client's brain. In this way the brain is rewarded for good
behavior and the training takes place.

Being a lover of nature and understanding that the healing and self
organizational principles that drive the recovery process are imbedded
in nature I have been using nature sounds instead of music.  This has
proved very effective and beneficial to the client.  Consequently I
wish to combine my bushwalking with nature sound recording and then
mix these sounds into sound tracks to utilize with the Neurofeedback.

In joining this group I hope to be able to access information about
appropriate equipment and techniques and learn from other experienced
members.  So if anyone can advise me on equipment I would appreciate
this. If any other members are involved in the therapeutic use of
nature sounds I would love to hear from you.
Thank You
John Thompson

"Microphones are not ears,
Loudspeakers are not birds,