Re: DIY Parabolic Dishes.

Subject: Re: DIY Parabolic Dishes.
From: "Steve Pelikan" pelikan45224
Date: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:14 pm (PDT)
John and friends:

I've thought about this a lot as well (though with less expertise than
others, I'm sure)

I use a parabola with an omni microphone near its focus (Telinga,
actually) and think there are several advantages to having the focus
inside the rim --- especially reduction of wind noise and the
elimination of extraneous sounds.

My only good recording of a "pitpitpit" vocalization of an Acadian
Flycatcher has a park district lawn mower in the background. The
recording is 100% useable, but if made with an un-protected omni or even
a cardioid, would be consumed by the sounds of the machinery.

So I suspect that in the kinds of recording I do, at least, theoretical
acoustic considerations are overruled by the contingencies of the
settings in which I record: Highly directional is necessary.

I look forward to everyone else's opinions. I haven't yet solved the
wave propagation problem in a paraboloid!

SP