Re: Mixing Ocean Waves

Subject: Re: Mixing Ocean Waves
From: "Wild Sanctuary" bigchirp1
Date: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:17 pm (PDT)

>So I have a bunch of ocean waves recordings from this past week in
>Delaware.  I recorded from near and far field in hope of getting a
>more satisfying final mix [a la Bernie].  What is the basic technique
>for mixing those together?  Just a simple layering?  Trying to weave
>the near field splashy stuff into the far field 'foundation'.  Any
>words of wisdom..I have just been using my ears so far which is the
>best way I know...but if there are any 'secrets' to not having it
>sound like a mess of 12 oceans I am all ears ;)

Listening to the different possible perspectives, Danny. Remember,
because we're a visual culture, we tend to hear what we're looking
at. So imagine looking at the near field waves as they're bubbling at
your feet, then changing your perspective to the breakers crashing
offshore in the distance. Now, create this illusion with your
soundscape. Keep the changes in perspective subtle and you'll engage
the mind's eye through the ear in truly beautiful ways.

Bernie

--
Wild Sanctuary
P. O. Box 536