Re: Minidisc with Sennheiser ME66 - Pre-amp required?

Subject: Re: Minidisc with Sennheiser ME66 - Pre-amp required?
From: "Steve Pelikan" pelikan45224
Date: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:12 pm (PDT)
I use an ME66 with a minidisk recorded (sharp, old Sony and now MZ-RH10)
without any premap but I do have a transformer between the mic and the
recorder. This converts low to hi impedance amd also adapts between the
XLR connector of mic (or cable) and the miniplug of the MD.

Mine came from Radio Shack (274-016C is the part number on the item).

I WOULD suggest that when you get a cable that you'll actually plug into
the MD that you try to get a shielded one --- many people seem to have
problems with weird noise generated when an unshielded cable is held
against the MD case --- something that feels very natural when hand
holding the MD. (it's even nearly essential to do something to prevent
strain on the miniplug) and can happen by accident in other circumstances.

I've never needed the extra gain of a preamp for the kinds of recordings
I've been making and have been lead to believe that there isn't much to
be gained by circumventing the MD's amp by putting output form an
external one into the line in on the MD.

Cheers!