Re: SD 702 naming convention - circle take

Subject: Re: SD 702 naming convention - circle take
From: "Kent Sparling" kentsparling
Date: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:38 am (PDT)
interesting -

i ALWAYS capture something unexpected,
but then my sound recording excursions are usually about
finding things i like, whatever catches my attention -
i can't think of many times at all when i've gone out specifically to
get a sound
(and succeeded in getting it!)

i still use the old paradigm of a 'location sound report'
so when i head out i have two fresh hard drives formatted with unique
numbers,
(just like i would have had a few reel of fresh tape)
this month they would 0691 and 0692,
then the nagra just increments file names for each take,
such as 0691_01.wav, 0691_02.wav, etc,
which i note on my paperwork with a description of what i recorded
including any "flaws",
mic used, recording pattern etc., etc.
later, i refer back to my sound report to see what i logged for each
recording -
just like writing take info on a tape box in music recording

every file gets trimmed, cleaned up, post processed and then named
for my library,
and all the sound report info entered into a filemaker pro database,
but i can always refer back to the archived source recordings and
peek through the big binder
of location sound reports to see which file is what

as always, there is more than one way to skin a cat
(including leaving him alone entirely)

cheers
kent