Re: resonant frequencies in mic systems

Subject: Re: resonant frequencies in mic systems
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:28 pm (PDT)
At 1:21 PM -0400 8/25/06, Walter Knapp wrote:

>I find that a lot of what you report is not reproducible on my
>monitoring nor shows up in sonograms, where it should be easy to spot.

I've not seen that much detail in sonograms. For example, can you
readily see differences in sonograms made from recording location and
two different micing positions?

Roughly how much resonance/coloration from the mics am I talking
about? With my mkh 40/30, I'd say its considerably less than the
resonances produced by a setting with moderately "live" reflections
and on par with the resonance produced in an open space with dominant
distant reflections.

I think the exaggerated tones can be heard and not easily detected in
everyday sonograms. I don't think they are solely the result of
monitoring. The mics are being pushed to their limits.

I'll try to figure out a better way to describe the phenomenon. Rob D.