Re: resonant frequencies in mic systems (was recording rig advice

Subject: Re: resonant frequencies in mic systems (was recording rig advice
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:30 pm (PDT)
At 3:46 PM +0000 8/25/06, inaudio wrote:
>--- In  Rob Danielson <> wrote:
>>
>>  I hoped to output the EQ'd result but I found that decoding from MS
>to LR and then back from L-R to M-S did not work well with three
>separate plugs designed for this. There were some fairly pronounced
>phase oddities created.
>
>I must ask here - either it is so basic nobody mentions it, or it is
>a glaring omission: Are
>you using the exact same EQ and other plugs on both the M and the S?
>If not, like if you
>EQ only the mid or only the side, you will get the phasing anomalies
>implied here.

Hi Lou--

Are you thinking the phasing is from plug CPU latency?  Yes, its
possible to force latency phase distortion by overloading the CPU
with many tracks and many plugs (like 12 or more tracks is the onset
with my G4). This wasn't the case here.  I was using different EQ
settings in the Left and Right channels of a _single_ stereo plug.

Another trouble-shooting clue: its unlikely that all three M-S plugs
I tried would be "broken."  Possibly there's an interaction between
the EQ plug and the M-S plugs?

The mics in M-S have different frequency responses, noise
characteristics and other qualities. Mixing with different EQ on the
mid and side channels on my system works nicely. (Logic Audio 6.4.2;
Mac G4; OSX 10.3.4  Core Audio; RME Multiface; Eqium v.2.02)

>  And if you are EQing the high end, that could account for
>the >1600Hz artifacts.

Its more expressed than mild artifacts. There's immediate, complete
signal phase cancellation at certain relative positions of the gain
sliders.

>Are you following the basic proicedures this way? I just had to ask
>as nobody else has
>yet... With identical plugins on bot channels I simply do not get
>phase anomalies and find
>MS excellent - I often use it to process center channel vocals in
>stereo music, as mastering
>engineers do, and find it easy to avoid phasing artifacts.

Going [LR->MS]-> EQ-> [MS->LR]? Using which platform, software and
plugs? Rob D.