Re: The Edirol 09??

Subject: Re: The Edirol 09??
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:44 am (PDT)
Thanks Rob, I think you are on the right track, it seems (at least) as if a
tremolo effect is on, while monitoring.
Still, Plug In Power or not, I can't get it work right. A pair of
externally powered EM23 or 21 make a much better self noise than the built
in mic's, (of course) but still you can easily hear the preamp noise.
If I put more output gain from the mic's, the Edirol input starts
distorting at low frequencies, like handling noise and wind noise. The
first "standard" recopy - to "short" the input with very low impedance
doesn't seem to help either. I don't think it is a common input transistor
noise, but a noise which generates somewhere else.

The whole point with small size and all gets lost if you have to connect a
mic/line amp to it.
Then the MT24/96 is better. Works fine at least with externally fed EM23
and 21.

Klas.

At 16:55 2006-08-18, you wrote:
>Hi Klas--
>So you can't get PIP mics to work well on it?
>
>These are wild guesses and they make little sense as "defaults," but:
>There are some special effect playback "plugs," in that unit. Could
>one be inserted into the input path somehow?  Could the monitor mode
>be set to "mix" the analog direct input with the a-d-a output?
>
>Best source of current wisdom on newly released, non Hi-MD, recorders
>I know of is:
>http://taperssection.com/index.php?board=11.0  Rob D.
>
>At 9:08 PM +0200 8/17/06, Klas Strandberg wrote:
> >Hello Edirol lovers!
> >
> >I finally got a 09 in my hand and has now made a preliminary test.
> >
> >I love it's functions, logics and stability, but cannot get the mic input
> >to work low-noise, except using external power and emitter follower. Plug
> >in power feed seems worthless, not at all as good as with the Edirol R1.
> >
> >1 / When monitoring the mic input, the sound I hear is like a harmoniser
> >was connected. Not at the recording. What is that??
> >
> >2/ I find no info about "Firmware update". Doesn't 09 need that??
> >
> >Klas.
> >

> >"Microphones are not ears,
> >Loudspeakers are not birds,
> >A listening room is not nature."