Mystery Bird #18

Subject: Mystery Bird #18
From: "Neville Recording" nevillerecording
Date: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:36 am (PDT)
Steve wrote:
"Individual towhees can have fairly large repertoires. The one reference I have
is
Kroodsma, D.E., 1971, Songs variations and singing behavior in the Rufous-sided
Towhee Pipilo erythrophthalmus oreganus. Condor 73:303-308
which reports a repertoire size of 7."

Yes, I was recording Towhees across the prairies this spring. In Saskatchewan,
a bird that looked like a Spotted towhee, call notes of a Spotted, but the song
of an Eastern Towhee.  It was Kroodsma's book "The Singing Life of Birds" 2005,
which actually clarified the issue for me. However, instead of singing "Drink
your tea" there was sometimes more than three notes. For Example "Drink, your,
your, tea"

Prior to this year, I believed Spotted Towhees were "rare" east of the Rockies.
John Neville