I use my external hard drive as my data storage device, I will NOT

Subject: I use my external hard drive as my data storage device, I will NOT
store on minidiscs as I have no confidemce I will ever transfer the
data.

Like Rob D I have looked at SS v 4.0 and decided there is no real
advantage to it over SS v 3.4 (thanks Rob - you gave this amateur some
confidence !).

I have scoured the minidisc forum for better advice but found none.

So that's my pain.

BTW to the others: I live in Switzerland and mostly record in the Jura
mountains between here and France - feel somewhat isolated, so want to
thank all who correspond in this group. You have taught me a lot this
year. Based on what I have read I recently imported (not easy - had to
use a friend) a Shure WL183, re-wired it using Rob D's  diagrams, and
made some experimental mounts for my old Sony parabola using Walter
Knapps ideas. It's a great mic but I am still learning how to get the
best out of it. Maybe I'll find a way of getting a matched pair one
day..Thanks to you all I am having great fun. Come the long winter
evenings I may have the courage to post some of my results for the
experts to shoot holes in !

Meanwhile thanks again, hope this modest sharing was illustrative.

Chris