Re: HiMD Clipping Test results

Subject: Re: HiMD Clipping Test results
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:21 pm (PDT)
At 12:10 PM +0800 7/14/06, Graham Evans wrote:
>Here are the tests requested Rob.  imho they demonstrate that:
>
>the effect IS clipping.
>the effect is NOT related to PiP.

Hi Graham--   Confirmation enough for me that using Low Sens setting
with ECM lavs does eliminate or significantly reduce the clipping
encountered with moderately loud sources and the High Sens setting.
That the clipping is still present with the 9 volt Sound Pro battery
box is curious, but I'm not sure we can entirely rule out PIP, yet.
(Gosh, it seems like Sound Pro would be aware of this phenom,...)
That I don't encounter clipping with condenser mics on a portable
phantom supply using High Sens has got me puzzled.  The spec sheet on
the Asahi Kasei AK5356  ADC/Mic Pre that Richard pointed-out could
provide some clues. Many thanks for your useful discovery; I'm a low
sens believer. Very useful to add Tr4 to the test.  Rob D.