Re: Rolls PB224 power options

Subject: Re: Rolls PB224 power options
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Sat Jul 1, 2006 1:50 pm (PDT)
Hi Debbi--
Sorry about the missed mock. I can reliably record a 93 minute 1GB
disk on two "9 volt" NiMH batteries rated at 160 mAh powering to
NT1-A's. Duracell  MN-1604 Alkaline 9 volt batteries are rated at 550
mAh, so you should be able to get over 4 hours of continuous
operation out of these. The NiMH are 8.4 volts not 9 volts though,
which lowers their performance.

I just hate throwing away batteries after one use.

Here are some rechargeable LiON 9 batteries rated at 400mAH
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=3DVIEWPROD&ProdID=3D2644
and the Charger for charging one at a time:
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=3DVIEWPROD&ProdID=3D2643

For the 7+ hour recordings I most often make, I'm using the 12 volt
external power input (uses Radio Shack Type M plug) and a battery
"sled" that can run the Rolls for days.
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/audio-reports/HiMD/HiMDbattery-sleds.htm
(thats my over-kill battery sled)
  Note the polarity on the Rolls and Art connector is non-standard,
negative center.

For you, a sled of 10 X 1.2 volt AA size 2500mAH NiMH batteries
should provide plenty of power for a day's recording, even if left on
all the time.

Here are some sample deals on AA NiMH bats, holders and chargers:
12-AA:
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=3DVIEWPROD&ProdID=3D2554

24-AA's for two, complete 12volt packs:
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=3DVIEWPROD&ProdID=3D2120

You'd need AA battery 2-sleds to hold the 10 cells:
1- http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=3DVIEWPROD&ProdID=3D212=
2
1- http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=3DVIEWPROD&ProdID=3D212=
0
(doube for two sled)

I'd get a charger designed to charge the whole 12 volt sled at once
so you don't have to dismantle the sleds to charge them.
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=3DVIEWPROD&ProdID=3D2051

Its burned into my head: "No such thing as too much power or tape."
But I still run out, often.
Please report back on your solution!
Rob D.

=3D =3D =3D =3D =3D