Re: question on infrasound recordings

Subject: Re: question on infrasound recordings
From: "Rich Peet" richpeet
Date: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:56 am (PDT)
I am an amateur but will comment.
Think of infrasound in three groups of equipment.
Greater than 5 cycles.
.1 to 5 cycles.
below .1 cycles.

Greater than 5 cycles can be done with quality audio a/d converters
and an audio mic that can go that low.

.1 to 5 cycles can be done with an audio mic designed for that low but
you need to consider a more specialized way to sample the data.

below .1 cycles for listening to atmospheric, magnetic, geo, or atomic
events you will have build or buy equipment to handle that.

In a city I suspect you are only going for the 5 to 75 cycle range for
interest.  Because I do a lot of recording with MKH-110 mics and a
multiface a/d I capture that stuff to 5 cycles just as I do my
recordings.  If you want some files to play with I can convert some of
my files to mono 6,000 sample rate and you can figure out if it has
interest to you for your project.

PS, no comment on the best equipment for this stuff or how good other
stuff is. What I own just works for me.

Rich

--- In  ilse van opzeeland