Re: Sony HiMD questions

Subject: Re: Sony HiMD questions
From: "Graham Evans" grayboodle
Date: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:06 am (PDT)

> 2b.
>     >1) How about the headphone levels? Can you boost them more than an
>     >old consumer-type
>     >headphone out ? I have Beyerdynamics DT 770 which is a great set of
>     >headphones but
>     >needs more level than most others, my MZ-R55's maximum output is not
>     >enough for
>     >decent monitoring.
>
>     The first generation US Hi-MD models and the Australian NH700 I've
>     tried have plenty of headphone volume.

I have a set of "Extreme Sound" Headphones and the NH700 only just runs
them.  I have volume set at 30/30 and the EQ at a custom setting of
Maximum at all frequencies.  Luckily these headphones drastically cut
ambient noise so the volume is adequate with these measures.  It would
be nice to have a bit more juice up my sleeve though...

>     >certain volume the signal might clip at the input of the
>     >DA-converter. Of course the point
>     >when this occurs depends on the microphone too. Can anyone give an
>     >indication about the
>     >SPL or type of source when clipping starts to happen with a common
>

>     >mike that can handle
>     >high SPL? Or am I just too clip-phobic here and there's nothing to
>     >worry about? (Well
>     >actually the noise has given me more trouble than clipping in the
>     >past, so I just ask this to
>     >make myself feel certain I don't buy the wrong thing.. ;-)
>
>     Yes, you can get your HiMD mic pre to clip before your condenser mics
>     if you work at it. We've talked about clipping with ECM mics and
>     Richard has done some measuring
>     http://www.wildlife-sound.org/equipment/himd/himdmyths_meas.html
>     <http://www.wildlife-sound.org/equipment/himd/himdmyths_meas.html> .
>     The sources of clipping are a little tough to pin down without a test
>     bench. Perhaps people can share some nightmares, but mic pre clipping
>     with Hi-MD not been an issue for me at all. Rob D.

Not a nightmare but an experience: I have found that the AT943-SP Audio
Technica lavaliers (sold by Sound Professionals as premium plug-in-power
solution) do clip the Hi-MD mic pre-amp fairly easily when it is set to
"High Sensitivity".  "Low Sens" setting solves the problem.  And when I
say "fairly easily" I am talking about clip on mic usage when the voice
gets raised.  Say if someone gets a bit excited in ordinary
conversation.  I have yet to do any serious ambient tests yet (using
these mics in a binnaural type set-up) but I guess this is a promising
sign for those quieter sound sources.

>     >
>     >greetings,
>     >max