Re: alternative to rubber bands (was Shock-Mounting...)

Subject: Re: alternative to rubber bands (was Shock-Mounting...)
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:08 pm (PDT)
At 3:54 PM -0400 7/22/06, Walter Knapp wrote:
>Take a hint from the pro suspensions. Rycote uses silicon o-rings,
>Sennheiser uses the regular black ones (Buna N). Don't pay their
>inflated prices as these are just industrial products.
>
>The largest silicon o-rings I have on hand right now are about 5"
>diameter, but all materials are available much larger. Even custom sizes
>if you are willing to order enough.
>
>Silicon o-rings have the advantage that they don't stick to the mics in
>places like my SASS as Buna N will do with time. They also don't crack
>like the Buna N ones. They are not quite as abrasion resistant however.
>
>Here's the place I get my o-rings, they have pages detailing all the
>materials available from them, also a standard sizing system.
>http://www.allorings.com/
>I'm sure there are plenty of other places.
>
>If you want to use bungee cord type material be aware that there are
>different grades. Best would be UV and Sunlight resistant synthetic.
>Available in bulk lengths down to at least as small as 1/16". It will
>hold knots ok so any size can be made. I have some primarily (for sound
>recording anyway) in sizes for rebuilding commercial suspensions. I got
>mine at REI. Note that the bungee cord material can make noise under load.
>
>In general don't set up suspensions so that your elastic is stretched
>near it's limit. Use a little larger size if you find yourself doing that.
>
>Walt

I tried six of the larger sizes of the elastic cording from a fabric
store-- either too weak or too stiff-- similar performance to Rode's
stock cord. The Buna-N rings in the sampler I got from Allorings were
really stiff. I ordered some large Silicon O-Rings tonight. #151 = 3"
ID; #153 = 3.5" ID; #156 = 4.5" diameter. They purport only 5%
stretch, but certainly worth a try. Thanks! Rob D.