new member - rh910?

Subject: new member - rh910?
From: "waynepadge" waynepadge
Date: Fri Jun 9, 2006 12:11 pm (PDT)
Greetings,
I'm new, after lurking for a week or two.
About myself - I teach electrical engineering (DSP courses
especially). I like audio, mike arrays, filter design, tinkering, etc.

Currently, I'm trying to get my kids interested in recording bird
calls, so we built a parabolic mike out of cardboard (thanks to links
from this list!).  It seems to work ok, especially for a near zero
budget, but I've discovered I have almost nothing to record with.  My
old Superscope CD320 has lost its main belt and the portable cassette
recorder we have is uselessly noisy.  I'm going to try the laptop
soundcard this weekend. I will try to post a photo of the dish in the
future.

I am using a Superscope EC-3S Cardioid mike in the dish (pointed
toward the dish), but without a good recorder it's hard to tell how
well that's working - hopefully I'll be able to make some useful
measurements with the laptop.

Anyway the question of the day is would an RH910 minidisc player be a
good choice for a portable recorder?  I've seen lots of good comments
on MD in general, and the RH910 looks like a reasonable choice, but
there are so many models, I'm worried it will turn out to be one that
is missing some important feature.  Anybody want to wave me off?

Thanks for all the good discussion - it's been very helpful.
-Wayne