Re: impedance matching

Subject: Re: impedance matching
From: "cfmspencer" cfmspencer
Date: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:09 pm (PDT)
--- In  Rob Danielson <>
wrote:

> Thanks for the rundown on your experiences and the radio shack
number, Vicky.

> I've done one test with A96F "stock."  It produced +3.9dB gain (from
> nt1a->art phantom->NH900 to nt1a->art phantom->A96F-> NH900 Maximum
> gain). I do detect some noticeable changes in tonal quality and
> perhaps noise difference too. I'll  change the A96F to the "150 ohm"
> setting, run more tests, then do a report with sonograms. Rob D.
>

> Rob D.

I just received a 96F today, and tested it on my Sony A1 HD camcorder,
albeit not with any precision, as I don't own test equipment.

I monitored the A1's meter readings of sounds played back thru my
audio system, positioned about 5-6 feet away from the nearest speaker.
Microphone was a Rode NTG-2, using battery power.

there was a quite noticeable increase in input levels when the A96F
replaced an XLR-to-mini cable (sans transformer).

I monitored while listening to a commercial recording called Loons on
Mirror Lake, and also with test signals - pink noise, white noise, and
3150 Hz signal.

in all instances, the meter readings on the camcorder were never less
than 6db higher with the transformer in use. Levels were set at
approx. -20db without transformer.

6db is the advertised gain increase. Now I will need to listen more
critically for audible side effects.

the bad news is, this device is 'heavy' and long, with nary a right
angle plug in sight...IOW, not very practical for use in a lightweight
camcorder setup.

clay

"Microphones are not ears,
Loudspeakers are not birds,