Re: 2Phant Core Sound Portable Phantom

Subject: Re: 2Phant Core Sound Portable Phantom
From: "Eric Benjamin" ericbenjamin2
Date: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:30 pm (PDT)
My response ended up somewhat lengthy, but hopefully
it will be of help to those who are interested in
quiet microphones.

--- Bruce Wilson <> wrote:
> If the noise comes from the 6800 ohm
> resistor only, then the noise would
> be -119 dbu, just like every other
> phantom supply

0 dBu =3D -2.21 dBV
The 20 kHz bandwidth noise from a 6.8 kOhm resistor is
-116.65 dBV; -2.21 gives 118.86 dBu (working from
memory now, I seem to have mislaid my calculator and
reference books), which is very close to Bruce's
figure.

But this is NOT a limit to the performance of phantom
powered microphone systems.  Since such microphones
always have either an amplifier or a transformer at
the output, their output impedances are determined by
the output impedance of the amplifier or transformer,
which is always much lower than 6.8 kOhm.
Effectively, the output impedance of the microphone
forms a voltage divider that divides down the noise
voltage from the phantom power to something much
smaller.  In a previous email to Rob I used the output
impedance of the Schoeps microphones as a point of
reference (the schematic is pinned to my wall!).
You can see the spec on output impedance here:
http://www.schoeps.de/E-2004/specs-cmc.html

I see that the output impedance is spec'd at 35 Ohms
(when the phantom power is 48 Volts), so the
attenuation is about .005, or -46 dB.  It would take a
lot of noise from a phantom supply to cause a problem
by strictly adding noise to the microphone output.
What might be a problem is if there were ultrasonic
tones in the phantom power, which then might
intermodulate with ultrasonic signals inside the
microphone.  That would depend a great deal on the
design of the microphone.

> I noticed he's doing something funny with
> the noise figures he quotes (-157 dbFS).
By referencing dBFS, Len Moskowitz is now referring to
the noise as it is translated into the digital domain.
 He doesn't say this, but it is also obvious that he
is referring to spectrum level, and not broadband or
weighted noise levels.

What's the difference?  The finer the spectrum is
divided up, the less noise is seen in each spectral
band.  For instance, an FFT of length 16384 results in
8192 spectrum bins (the name for each spectrum band in
an FFT).  The energy in each bin goes as the square
root of the bandwidth, and thus each bin has 1/90 of
the total energy, which is to say that it is -39.13 dB
lower in level than the total.  So if the total level
at the point of measurement was -119 dBV, then the
spectrum level would be -158 dBV, which is very close
to the level that Moskowitz quotes.

There might be some reaction to this as being
confusing, but getting the measureemtn into the
digital domain is an important distinction.  If the
microphone preamp, A/D converter, and recording device
are all in one block, then once the signal has passed
into the microphone input, all we care about are the
levels in the digital domain.  And those are expresed
in dBFS, or dB relative to digital Full Scale.  There
is an AES (Audio Engineering Society) standard which
describes how to do measurement like this.  That
standard is AES 17 - AES standard method for digital
audio engineering =97 Measurement of digital audio
equipment.

Eric Benjamin

http://www.uwm.edu/~type/audio-art-tech-gallery/pages/page_38.html