Re: 2Phant Core Sound Portable Phantom (was How would you clean up t

Subject: Re: 2Phant Core Sound Portable Phantom (was How would you clean up t
From: "Bruce Wilson" bruceumba
Date: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:54 am (PDT)
I noticed he's doing something funny with the noise figures he quotes
(-157 dbFS). If the noise comes from the 6800 ohm resistor only, then
the noise would be -119 dbu, just like every other phantom supply. That
gives a full-scale reference of +38 dbu, or an unlikely 62 v (remember,
phantom power is only 48 v, +36 dbu). Fortunately mics have capacitors
which (I think) will kill some of the thermal noise. Maybe the internal
resistance of a capacitor adds thermal noise, but the resistance can't
be high, so I doubt the added noise will be either.

Bruce Wilson
http://science.uvsc.edu/wilson