Re: The right stereo setup

Subject: Re: The right stereo setup
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:34 pm (PDT)
Posted by: "P. Schr=F6ter"

> I returned to this list after a short while of beeing very busy, but now,=
 there is new time for recording, but I am still searching for the right eq=
uipment.
> I am focusing on doing atmosphere recordings of birds, frogs and whatever=
 there would be there around me in nature.
> I am doing this for many years now but  more and more I begin to realize =
that a single point stereo mic doesn't bring the results I am finally searc=
hing for.
> Currently, I am using a Rode nt4 but the stereo image is, in my opinion a=
nd as you'd expect it from a mic that consists of two single capsules, a li=
ttle too... it's difficult to describe, to compressed, the individual sound=
 sources can be heard where they should be, but between them tthere is a la=
ck of space that gives the whole recording a strange and in a way unrealist=
ic character, in my opinion.
> I Think, correct me, if I'm wrong, a nice and clean, a typical and ideal =
stereo recording that would satisfy my completely would be only possible we=
hn using two independent different  mics.
> And of course I know that this subject is perhaps the most
> discussed one here, I know that there is a variety of possibilities to ge=
t what I am searching for, so, perhaps you could give me a short overview o=
r some www page adresses  that contain some detailed  information.
> It would be quite nice of you as well to send some short sound examples o=
f your own stereo recordings with the list of equipment you used to do them=
 to my e-mail adress:

> that would give me an idea of what I am exactly looking for.
> The only thing I could definitely say is that I
> am  interested in doing high-quality stereo recordings and I am ready to =
spend enough money on this(I think I am going to sell my rode to get some e=
xtra cash for the new gear).

It somewhat depends on just what sort of site you are dealing with.
Different stereo setups have differing abilities as to reach, field
width and so on. And people simply like the sound of one mic over
another too. There is no single "right" stereo setup.

My favorite wide angle stereo ambiance setup is the Modified SASS/MKH-20:
http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/docs/mod_sass.html
That page does have a less expensive alternative near the bottom, if you
are not going to be recording at the quietest sites. And are ok with the
changed sound.

For cleanest recordings I prefer to use the SASS/MKH-20 on top of a 17'
high tripod. To get out of the clutter of reflections and so on near
ground level.

I also use M/S setups. These are better when the site is not as wide,
each one has definite limits of stereo field for which it's best:
http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/docs/ms_setups.html

For longest reach I use a Telinga stereo parabolic.

I strongly prefer that all my nature recording mic setups be hand
holdable, which leaves out widely separated setups.