OT: Gmail as spam filter

Subject: OT: Gmail as spam filter
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:59 pm (PDT)
Off topic:  Here's an effective way to deal with spam messages--for free.

I found that Google Mail (gmail) has a very good spam filter.  I
opened a Google Mail account, and set my other email accounts to
forward to it.  Result: Almost all the spam is neatly separated into
its own gmail folder, and I can read the messages I care about much
more easily in the gmail inbox folder.

Messages older than 30 days are automatically removed from the spam
folder, so I have lots of time to check to see if any important mail
was accidentally put there.  And if a spam message gets into my inbox,
I just highlight it and press the "report spam" button.  In the
future, any messages like that one will be routed to the spam folder.

Most people read their Google Mail account online, via a web browser.
 It's useful to be able to access your email from any computer with a
web connection.  Gmail provides 2+ gigabytes of storage to each
account, so there is lots of room for messages and attachements.

If you prefer to use a POP or IMAP mail program (such as Eudora,
Thunderbird, or Outlook Express, to name a few), it's possible to
configure Google Mail to transfer mail to your desktop.  Just don't
create a loop that forwards mail to gmail, then to Eudora, then to
gmail, and on and on.

Anyone with a USA cell phone number can sign up for gmail here:
https://www.google.com/accounts/SmsMailSignup1

If you don't want to tell Google your cell phone number, or if you're
outside USA, send email to me at  requesting that I
sponsor your account.  Once you open one gmail account, you can
sponsor yourself if you want to have multiple accounts.

--oryoki

"Microphones are not ears,
Loudspeakers are not birds,
A listening room is not nature."