Re: [nature_sounds_society] Costa Rica Recording Workshop?

Subject: Re: [nature_sounds_society] Costa Rica Recording Workshop?
From: "Rich Peet"
Date: Sat May 6, 2006 11:14am(PDT)
12 works fine if they are all recordists and no one is using playback.
A raised arm once for someone approaching no matter if they make eye
contact or not signifies recording or about to and is not cancelled
until a sweeping low arm with eye contact which is an invite to
approach.

Rich

--- In  Volker Widmann <>
wrote:

> Hi Martyn,
>
> I share your feelings about a dozen people rumbling around in the
woods.
> I have never taken part in a recording workshop and have no idea if
> there is a noise etiquette in the field.
> I can imagine that if the area is big enough and maybe the
recording
> times a arranged then the results should be OK.
>
> This leads me to another topic I have been thinking about for some
> time......I will start a new thread.
>
> Volker
>

> Martyn Stewart schrieb:
>
> >I may be interested Doug, I have to add a few of the Costa Rican
birds to my
> >lists but without being a spoil sport, why so many in the field?
> >I'm one of those who basically likes to record by myself making my
own
> >noises and not picking up other peoples tummy rumbles..
> >I am tempted to say the least so add me to your agenda and I'll go
from
> >there......
> >If the workshop doesn't materialize but you still want to go down
there, I
> >will go with you for sure.
> >
> >Martyn
> >
> >****************************************
> >
> >Martyn Stewart
> >
> >Bird and Animal Sounds Digitally Recorded at:
> >http://www.naturesound.org
> >Redmond. Washington. USA
> >N47.65543 W121.98428
> >
> >e-mail:
> >Tel: 425-898-0462
> >
> >Make every Garden a wildlife Habitat!
> >
> >*****************************************

Von Gausig
> >Sent: Saturday, May 06, 2006 9:07 AM
> >To: ;

> >Subject: [nature_sounds_society] Costa Rica Recording Workshop?
> >
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I am considering putting together a Costa Rican recording
workshop. I've
> >been recording in Costa Rica for several years, and have decided
that it's
> >time to share the wealth! The soundscapes in CR are incredibly
varied, rich
> >and exotic. Jungle sounds, exotic birds and reptiles, even
volcanoes are on
> >the sound pallet. For photographers, there's just nothing like it
on earth.

> >I'm thinking that a 10-day trip (maybe 2 weeks, depending on
participation)
> >is in order, and we could visit 3-5 different unique locales
during that
> >time. I'd anticipate recording maybe 200 species of birds during
that time,
> >probably 20 amphibians (Smoky Jungle frog, Tink Frogs, Poison Dart
frogs).
> >In the evenings we could get together and discuss our recordings,
get
> >expert identifications, learn about the Central American
ecosystems, etc.

> >Preliminarily I'd suggest a couple of days at Tortuguero, on the
Caribbean
> >coast, a couple around Puerto Viejo de Limon, on the southern
Caribbean
> >near the Panamanian border, a few around Volcan Arenal, an active
volcano
> >with rich biodiversity surrounding it, and finishing off in the
> >Carara/Savegre/Manuel Antonio area. Alternatives are the
Monteverde area,
> >the high Cordilleras in the center of the country, and the
southern pacific
> >area of Corcovado National Park. Anywhere we go we would have an
incredible
> >array of natural sound.
> >
> >I'd like to get 10-15 people together for this trip, probably in
October or
> >November, when the rains are less and the birds are active, but
I'm open to
> >suggestions as to venues, times, etc.
> >
> >I will make all the arrangements for transportation from Phoenix,
rental
> >cars, meals and lodging while in country and return to Phoenix.
Those
> >wishing to leave from their city may have to handle some of those
> >arrangements so as to arrive in San Jose (actually Alajuela) in
time to
> >meet up with us. I will also engage guides where needed.
> >
> >Who's up for the recording trip of your life?
> >
> >Doug
> >p.s. to whet your appetite a bit, listen to some of my sounds from
Costa
> >Rica at http://www.naturesongs.com/CRsounds.html, and on Dave
Ross's page