Re: What do you typically do while recording?

Subject: Re: What do you typically do while recording?
From: "Danny Meltzer"
Date: Tue May 9, 2006 9:55pm(PDT)
I usually sit silently with headphones.  The one time I walked away
from my rig, I almost lost it!  This is an embarressing moment.  I had
to get the entire group I was with to help me scour the patch of
forest where we were located to find it.  Believe it or not...my
equipment bag is dark brown...not exactly a standout color in the woods.

Oh well.  Live and learn.

Danny

--- In  Volker Widmann <>
wrote:

> I've been thinking for a while about what people from this group
> actually are doing while they are recording in the field.
> Of course I know that many people are monitoring their recordings with
> headphones, so they have to keep silent and motionless, maybe sitting a
> couple of meters away from their microphones.
>
> For me this never was an option. Even if you're many meters away from
> your mics I find it extremely hard not to make the faintest noise to
not
> interfere with the recording. Martyn mentioned tummy rumble which might
> be an issue in a very quiet environment if you had lots of beans :-).
> Another idea is that if I am intersted in the biophony I would like to
> have the biophony without the influence that the presence of a human
> might have on it.
> So what I typically do is as soon as I set all my meters and buttons
> right and found the result pleasing to my ear when listening through my
> headphones I push my record button, close the Pelicase that I keep my
> recorder in and move away from my gear leaving it all alone in the wild.
> And here my personal intimate listening experience starts. I wander
> around in awe what other sounds there are in the area. I can totally
> forget about the recording and for example enjoy a dawn choir that will
> never be on any recording that is just now and for me. And I really do
> enjoy this. During the course of the two hours I typically record in
one
> place I might walk a couple of miles discovering many new places and
> sounds so that I always have new ideas for further recordings at this
> specific site.
> Eventually I return pack up my gear looking forward to listing to my
> recordings at home, where I am often surprised by an unexpected
event in
> my recording.
>

> Volker

"Microphones are not ears,