Re: 80' mic spread

Subject: Re: 80' mic spread
From: "Rob Danielson"
Date: Thu May 4, 2006 9:44pm(PDT)
At 9:47 AM -0700 5/4/06, Kim Cascone wrote:
>Rob
>I assume that you went wireless for the 80'
>spread? if so, which  wireless did you use?

Lots of rubber jacket balanced mic cable. I've
not come across a wireless transmitter that's
quiet enough and the better ones are so  pricey.
Bet I'd buy a mic  or two first! The Crow Lake
set-up had two NT1-A's spread 200' and yes,
situations can suggest many spacings.  Today, I
might spread them out if the location is very
very quiet are there are interesting things in
the distance to image (and few sources in the
foreground to conflict).  Winter can be great for
these conditions. If there's water or wind or any
number of things that raise the ambient noise
level, wide spreads can easily become too full or
"busy" for me. Of course, there are many ways to
think of "image" and space and  there are so many
factors to account for. I used to love ~12-20
spreads between PZM's on walls and corners of
buildings and playing with the low-end phasing.
Rob D.