Re: Places to record in MN, MI, ND?

Subject: Re: Places to record in MN, MI, ND?
From: "David Martin"
Date: Thu May 4, 2006 11:04am(PDT)
Great question, Bruce.  I too am planning a trip to Wisconsin, Minnesota
and North Dakota this June and I'd like to hear what Rich, Curt and others=

from that region have to say.

One place I am definitely planning to visit is Crex Meadows WMA near
Grantsburg in northwestern Wisconsin.  Until recently I had family in MN,
and I have been there many times over the years.  It has quite a lot of
diverse birdlife. Crex has quite a few visitors, but I think it should be
relatively easy to do species type recording there (at least compared to
much of New York, where I live).    I'm not so sure about  ambient, but I
suspect very early am and nights will be good.

For Minnesota I have been using Kim Eckert's book "A Birder's Guide to
Minnesota" for planning purposes.  Is that a good approach?  Is the Sax-Zim=

bog a good possibility?  Where would be a good place to record Connecticut=

warbler and yellow-bellied flycatcher?

I'm not so sure where to go in North Dakota.  I'm really interested in
getting  prairie sparrows,  chestnut-collared longspur, gray partridge
etc.   The population of North Dakota is roughly 600,000. and I have
thought that noise would not be too serious,  except for wind and possibly=

farm machinery.

As you can see, I have some definite goals in mind.  Any guidance would be=

greatly appreciated.

David