Re: Identification of sounds

Subject: Re: Identification of sounds
From: "Steve Pelikan"
Date: Mon May 22, 2006 5:39pm(PDT)
Friends:

In the database I keep of recordings of animals, I have 2 fields related
to identification. One is what I _think_ it is and another is boolean
and indicates whether I _verified_ the identification based on a
sighting (or, sometimes  in the case of insects, a specimen).

This is an attempt to recognize that there are two really different uses
for the recordings.

One is for someone who wants something that sounds like "X" --- and
often I have to tell them what "X" is (an evening, scene, you want a
wood thrush in the background...). In this case the "identification" is
to help me find a recording that might be useful.

The other use for recordings is for those people who want (need) to know
what "X" sounds like. For them, it is important that "X" be a correct ID.

Confusing the two purposes could make for problems; hence the two fields
in my records.

Cheers!

SP