Re: thunderstorm recording

Subject: Re: thunderstorm recording
From: "David Westling"
Date: Tue May 30, 2006 4:43 pm (PDT)
> Can you post a sample somewhere? Are you sure it's static, and not
> the mic or mic pre-amp 'crunching' while overloading?  There is so
> much bass in a thunder clap that often it'll distort the mic.
>
> There are some tools, processing programs that can help de-crunch an
> audio recording. I've had mixed results with Waves X-Crackle for
> ProTools.
>
> If you can post a sample somewhere, some of us might be able to do a
> quick test, or at least hear the character of the distortion in
> question.
>
> Tim

Hello Tim,
     Thanks for responding.  Well, the sound I am interpreting as
"static" was simultaneous with the lightning strike visible outside
my window, and not the thunderclap. I would say that at any rate I
had the record volume set low enough so that the thunderclaps were
not distorting.  The recording is very good overall, I'm just
concerned about these (relatively unobtrusive, actually) crackles
seemingly caused by the static charge of the lightning itself.  I
thought maybe the wiring in my apartment might be a factor, I live in
one of those multi-unit buildings built in the 1920s, in which case
I'd need some sort of device to interface between my house wiring and
my machines.  (Unfortunately I have no experience in uploading mp3's
onto the net.)

David