Re: Blumlein (was Mid-side technique with studio mics)

Subject: Re: Blumlein (was Mid-side technique with studio mics)
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 10:03:37 -0500
At 1:40 AM -0700 4/19/06, Eric Benjamin wrote:
>From: "Rob Danielson" <> wrote
>>I wish all manufs produced polar pattern charts
>>like AKG.
>
>>I understand that actual performance can vary
>>from what manufacturers' claim, and maybe Rode is
>>telling larger lies, but the NT2000 seems to hang
>>in with small diaphragm mics pretty well:
>
>Your post is lengthy, and it's late here, so I'll confine myself to offeri=
ng
>some high angular resolution polar plots that I have made for the Rode NT1=
-A
>microphone.  They don't necessarily disagree with what Rode publishes, but
>there is a lot more detail in them, especially since I have measured the
>polar patterns at intervals of 1/3 octave.  Just let me know if you would
>like to see them.

I have it! Your tests on the NT1-A helped me estimate the acceptable
"uniform" coverage at about 60 degrees. (I arbitrarily use 5-6dB as
the high Hz drop-off maximum). Your chart makes some of the
advantages of a high end "bump" very evident, doesn't it?

If you do get a chance, I'd be curious to know if you feel the NT2000
(based on Rode's fuzzy charts) stands to be wider.  Rob D.

Here are some relevant comparison charts side by side:
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/Fig8_CardioidPolarPatterns.doc

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department