Re: Blumlein (was Mid-side techinique with studio mics)

Subject: Re: Blumlein (was Mid-side techinique with studio mics)
From: "Tim Gray" <>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 12:17:57 -0400
On 4/18/06, Rob Danielson <> wrote:
> I had a chance to record with 2 mkh30's for 10 days a few years ago.
> Some recordings did seem to favor (in post) using the signal from one
> mic as a traditional M-S "mid" with the other mic in usual M-S
> patching matrix. I suspect my mic placement was not ideal, but this
> option exists in post. Rob D.

If you take 2 fig 8 mics in Blumlein configuration (angle 90 degrees
apart from each other like X-Y) and process it like MS, your output
should be one figure 8 pointed directly forward at 0 degrees (a
"virtual" M) and one fig 8 pointed sideways (at 180 degrees - like an
S mic).

Likewise, if you actually run Mid/side with a second figure 8 mic as
the mid, after MS processing, you end up with L and R signals which
would are equivalent to Blumlein (2 fig 8's at 90 degrees).

One reason to do this would be if you have a sound you want to focus
on that is on axis and your fig 8 mics patterns are relatively
frequency dependent.  Of course, with a set of MKH 30's, it shouldn't
matter too much since the pattern is so nice.