Re: Old question, new solar panel

Subject: Re: Old question, new solar panel
From: "Bruce Wilson" <>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:28:37 -0600
With all modern rechargeables (NiCad to Li-ion) you need a proper rechargin=
controller. The one Brunton sells is only for recharging lead-acid
batteries.

Constant-current sources are weird. They try to keep the current going, and=

will increase the voltage when the current drops off, to a max. of 18-24 v.=

They will blow a rechargeable pack pretty easily if connected directly. So=

you need something like

solar panel --> Lead Acid --> 120 v inverter --> battery charger --> Li-ion=

battery.

Or pay more for solar panel --> lead-acid --> special charger --> Li-ion
battery. Brunton's small 4.4 w charger is so expensive because it has the
special charger in it. It turns constant current into constant voltage, the=
watches the current and cuts the voltage when it drops, indicating the
battery is charged.

Something like
http://www.best-laptop-battery.com/battery.cfm/hurl/Camcorder-batteries/SAM=
SUNG/device_SC_D303/BCLC1.html
or http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=3DVIEWPROD&ProdID=3D123=
0
The second one does a better job than the first, but needs 120v to operate.

By the way, I admire most Brunton products. I carry a very good Brunton
sighting compass/clinometer for my photographic needs.

Bruce Wilson KF7K
http://science.uvsc.edu/wilson