Re: Mic specs, in dBu

Subject: Re: Mic specs, in dBu
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 21:56:16 -0500
At 8:54 AM -0600 4/4/06, Bruce Wilson wrote:
>Since I've been posting preamps specs in dBu, I might as well post some mic
>specs in the same units, for comparison.
>
>All values are noise floor in dBu, sensitivity in dBu, maxSPL in dBu.
>Noise floor: the lower the better, if this is

7-10 dB?

>  higher than your preamp EIN,
>your mic will add more noise than the preamp, which is typical.
>otherwise the higher the better.

Perhaps in a lot of situations, but for ambience in quiet locations,
sensitivity can translate into more effective voltage and more bit
depth. I can easily tell the difference in sound file saturation
between a mic with 25mv/Pa and another with 19 mv/Pa sensitivity at
all (matched) gain settings.

>MaxSPL: Should be lower than your preamp max input level.
>
>Sennheiser MKH (no MaxSPL reported in specs):
>30: -110, -29, ?
>40: -110, -29, ?
>50: -112, -29, ?
>60: -112, -26, ?
>70: -112, -24, ?
>80: -110, -26, ?
>800: -110, -26, ?

Interesting. With the Rane Notes 148 Table 3 in hand, the dBA numbers
are for me easier to use.   3 dBu difference in sensitivity is pretty
significant. The Mkh40 with -26 dBu sensitivity and the MKH-80 with
-29 dBu produce very different saturations.  Rob D.

>Rode:
>NT1-A: -118, -29, +13

Sennheiser provides sensitivity for the mkh-40 at 25 mv/Pa as does
Rode for the NT1-A. Why are their sensitivities stated in dBu  -26 vs
-29? Different weighting? I know a good part of the NT1A's output is
below 30Hz if this helps.

>NT2000: -121, -34, +19
>NT4: -114, -36, +13

These numbers for the NT4 seem inconsistent.
With the attenuation removed from the Rode supplied 3.5mm-> cable