Re: Alaska suggestions?

Subject: Re: Alaska suggestions?
From: "Matt Goff" <>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 16:50:48 -0900
There are definitely a lot of boats around Sitka.  Both commercial,
semi-commercial (Charters), and private sport fishing in addition to
pleasure boating are all very popular.  The topography is such that if you
can get into a bay with little boat traffic, I would think the noise would
not be too bad, but here is where my lack of experience is telling
(hopefully I will get some experience soon; I have the cable to connect my
Shure WL183s to my Sharp minidisc recorder on order - Thanks Dan Dugan! -
and maybe as soon as later this week I'll have a chance to try it out).
It is my impression that quiet to the hiker is not necessarily quiet to
the recordist.  I'm reminded of a story a friend of mine told.  He used to
go hunting with another friend and that friend's dad.  They would be going
up a steep hillside well away from town, and the friend's dad would say
"there's a seiner going by" but my friend couldn't hear anything and they
were in the woods where they could not see.  A short time later they would
break out of the trees and look down, and what do you know, there was a
seiner cruising along down below.  The low rumble of the diesel engine is
audible for a long distance to those who know what to listen for.

One advantage to Indian River Trail is that once you get a couple miles up
the trail, the valley curves around behind a ridge that probably blocks
most of the noise from town and the water.   I'll have to check out that
theory when I get a chance.  Of course that does not help with the light
aircraft which fly over more often than I would prefer even without trying
to record; especially in the summer.

I guess that brings up a more general question, however;  to what extent
can topography be relied upon to block undesirable sources of noise?   It
seems that topography can make a significant difference potentially, as I
know that when I hike up one of the mountains right near town the noise of
traffic, dogs, machinery, etc. drops dramatically once the trail goes to
the side of the ridge facing away from town (the sounds are very audible
at the 1800 foot level or so, just a few steps up and over the ridge line
and it seems very quiet).

Matt